Unfortunately, it is somewhat of a common occurrence for individuals to “slip and fall” due to the negligence of others. These slip and fall incidents almost always result in injuries. These injuries vary and can include minor bruises while at times they can lead to paralyzation. Some of the more common examples of slip and fall accidents include individuals who slip and fall due to liquid spilled on the floor of a a department store, individuals who fall into a ditch or a hole that was uncovered, or individuals that fall in staircases due to defects with the staircases or insufficient lighting.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
If you were the victim of a slip and fall accident due to the negligence of another, you should take the following steps immediately after your fall:
- Call for help. Grab your cellphone and call an ambulance. Ask for individuals around you to call for an ambulance if you cannot do so yourself (e.g., if you had broken your leg).
- Look around to see what resulted in the accident. Was there liquid spilled on the floor? Was there a broken tile or a broken step?
- Look around to see if there were any warning signs. For example, if the floor was wet, were there any warning signs? (e.g. “Wet Floor” signs)
- Give a report to the store employees. Oftentimes, if you had fallen in a place like a department store, an employee of the department store will want to take a report of the incident. If you are not able to give a report due to your injuries, don’t do it. If you are able to do so, explain what happened, including the reasons for the fall. For example, if you fell due to a wet floor, make sure that the report mentions that the floor was wet. If a report is given, try and get a copy for yourself. If you do not feel comfortable giving a report, don’t do it.
- Get medical help. The most important thing is your health. Get the medical attention you need as soon as possible. If you need to go to the emergency room, do it!
- Take pictures. Either take pictures of the scene of the accident, or have someone take pictures for you immediately after the injury. The more pictures, the better,
- Ask for contact information for any witnesses.
- Preserve all evidence in your possession. If you have the clothes and shoes that you wore, take pictures of them and preserve them.
- Call an attorney!
*the above list is not an exhaustive list, and contains only some of the steps that must be taken following a slip and fall accident.
Consult With A Qualified Attorney Now!
If you or your loved one were hurt in a slip and fall accident, contact Katz Law. We are Los Angeles attorneys who are passionate about helping those who were injured due to the negligence of others.
Call us now at (844) KATZ-LAW for a FREE CONSULTATION!